December 6, 2013
Celebrating 60 years
New website reflects Cantak’s vision of the future
Cantak Corporation has been a part of the vibrant Canadian oil and gas industry for 60 years. We’re proud of our past, but we focus on the future, with people, processes, technical expertise and an all-new website to help make the coming decades even better.
The Cantak story begins in 1953, a time of growth in both the world economy and the Western Canadian petroleum sector. The end of the Second World War eight years earlier had opened the door for the resumption of global trade, and taking advantage was Seattle-based entrepreneur C.T. (Ted) Takahashi, who rapidly built a business by exporting equipment and raw material from North America to Japan. Focusing on the growing Japanese steel industry, Takahashi had opened a Canadian branch office in 1950, with Roger Cheng of Vancouver, B.C., as manager.
Meanwhile, the 1947 Leduc No. 1 oil strike in Alberta kicked off a boom in oil and gas exploration, extraction and transmission that continues today. The rapid growth of the petroleum sector meant a greater demand for tubular goods and line pipe. Soon after he was hired, Cheng saw an opportunity to match the growing capabilities of the Japanese steel industry with the growth of the Canadian oilpatch by importing high-quality steel pipe from Japan to the North American market.
In 1953, C.T. Takahashi Inc. became the first company to import seamless Japanese OCTG into Canada. Cantak was born, but it would be some time before the name came along.
During the 1950s, Calgary was becoming the head-office hub of the Canadian oil and gas industry, and in 1960, C.T. Takahashi Inc. joined the party, opening a Calgary office. The following year, Roger Cheng became part owner of the Canadian operations, buying a minority share in the company, which became known as C.T. Takahashi & Co. Ltd.
The company grew and evolved along with the industry, and Cheng’s commitment increased as well. In 1979, he purchased full ownership of the company, changing its name to Canadian Takahashi Limited.
Meanwhile, Cheng’s son Allan had graduated from the University of B.C. and finished articling with Touche Ross (now Deloitte) to earn his Chartered Accountant designation. Moving to Calgary in 1980, he began his career with Canadian Takahashi.
In 1988, Allan Cheng became the company’s president. Roger Cheng passed away in 1990. It was the end of one era — and the beginning of another.
The company rebranded itself as Cantak Corporation in 1992. With an increasingly global approach and a careful eye on market trends, Cantak has built on its history to remain a leader in the Canadian energy tubulars sector.
Our all-new website, launched just a few days ago, reflects Cantak’s vision and commitment to a dynamic, forward-thinking, service-focused way of doing business, today and in the decades to come.